Regional Director FLORANTE O. LEAL and Provincial Director PETER O. MANGABAT of the Department of Trade and Industry awarded a check amounting to One Million Four Hundred Seventy Nine thousand pesos (Php 1,479,000.00) to the Local Government Unit of Umingan. Said fund under the Grassroots Participatory Budgeting (BUB) 2014 will be used for the project “Kakayahang Pangkabuhayan sa Umingan”. This is a Shared Service Facility. This project is conceptualized due to: 1) the abundance of squash as prime agricultural product of our so-called Marlboro country in the hilly areas of the municipality; 2) as a support facility for the establishment of One-Town-One-Product (OTOP); and 3) because of the trend on health and wellness wherein people became conscious on the nutritional value of the food they eat. The LGU saw the potential of the project to create employment for women and to assist farmers market their produce.
This Shared Service Facility will be housed at the Umingan Livelihood and Training Center, which the LGU will construct at Brgy. Lauren and will be used by United Farmers and Women’s Association of Umingan (UFAWA) and other accredited CSO’s. They will make veggie noodle and veggie-bread products.
This project aims to:
1. Serve as venue for product development of different agricultural products
2. Serve as a training facility for interested individuals to gain knowledge about food processing
3. To improve standard of Umingan products including our OTOP
4. To spur livelihood activity among unemployed women and out of school youth
5. To augment household income through food processing
6. To supply nutritious foods for the Supplemental Feeding Program of the LGU.