Japanese Encephalitis

09/05/2017

Read More.
  News

History of Umingan

Some Things You Should Know About Us




Years before

In the first days of the town after harvest season, the primary settlers celebrated a thanksgiving feast to glorify the Almighty for their yield, their virtuous health, and the culmination of chaos. The townsfolk and strangers who attended the feast were pleased because there were plenty to eat and powerful drinks, such as Basi and Nipa wine from Mangaldan, a distant town then, poured freely. During the gathering, a man of significance stood up from among the celebrants and yelled,” Peace be with us for the Blessings of the Almighty God come to us. Abundance is with us and the turmoil has finished”. The geity townspeople in the gathering acclaimed and bellowed in response: “Yes, yes disorder has ceased.” In the Ilocano dialect, their acclamation is interpreted as: “Wen, wen, nagsardingen iti panagdakdakes, ti riribuk ti Inmingan.” The other guests who did not understand the language were confused and they clinched that the people were shouting the name of the place “Umingan”. That was the origin Umingan became the name by which the early settlement came to be known even unto this day. It is also a commemoration of the kind and generous UMINGAN, the patriarch of the settlement.



Creation of the Municipality

Further settlers came to Umingan and in the imminent years, the villages and “barangays” were established until the municipal government was organized.

They reformed into bigger groups throughout the entire locality and they named their locations based on their respective places of origin, like San Juan or Cabacnotanan,( both names were towns of origin in La Union) and the others with the name of plants that were found in great quantities in their neighborhood; Cabaritan or Baracbac or Cabalitian. ( a local name of a plant nor a tree).



Unfortunately, there was no record that shows the date when the municipality was originally founded for such purpose; nor could anybody among the old folks of the town today tell the date of its foundation. Some gave verifying information’s ; some, whether it may be about the middle of 1880 so as the first “cabezas de barangay” were unidentified.



Historical Affairs

Further settlers came to Umingan and in the imminent years, the villages and “barangays” were established until the municipal government was organized.

They reformed into bigger groups throughout the entire locality and they named their locations based on their respective places of origin, like San Juan or Cabacnotanan,( both names were towns of origin in La Union) and the others with the name of plants that were found in great quantities in their neighborhood; Cabaritan or Baracbac or Cabalitian. ( a local name of a plant nor a tree).



Unfortunately, there was no record that shows the date when the municipality was originally founded for such purpose; nor could anybody among the old folks of the town today tell the date of its foundation. Some gave verifying information’s ; some, whether it may be about the middle of 1880 so as the first “cabezas de barangay” were unidentified.



Socio- Political Development

The primary officials that controlled the reins of government during the Spanish regime (1845-1895) were (Don Pedro Dominqiuano, Don Jose Villaflores, Don Buenaventura Allas, Don Basilio Reguyal, Don Juan Manaquel and Don Valenti Diaz as Governadorcillos where the current barangay Diaz was named after him in commemoration of his significant contributions to the municipality. In 1889, the executive title of Governadocillo was changed to Captain Municipal with Don Adriano Agtual, Don Fermin Gonzales, Don Casimiro Belisario, as Captain Municipal, respectively.
After the revolution and/or the Fil-American War, the Captain Municipal was altered to Presidente Municipal where the administration of the late Don Dionisio Ayson, Fermin Gonzales, Don Eulalio Belisario, Don Juan Berenguer, Don Justo Abalos, Don Antonio Carino,Juan Sliente, Francisco Tabada, Manuel Castillo, Marcilino Gonzales reighned respectively. The last Municipal President and the first Municipal Mayor under the Commonwealth of the Philippines was the late Don Federico Rodriguez.
When the World War II broke out and the Japanese Imperial occupied the country. Umingan was not an excepted to the morbid acts of the Japanese forces. During the time, seldom could one find a man to accept the appointment of a municipal mayor, for one’s head was the price if found cooperating with the “Guerillas” (underground movement). However brave and dedicated men like Don Federico Rodriguez, Don Andres Sion and Don Agustin Nabatilan accepted the challenge. Don Federico Rodriguez sided with nobody but illicitly supported the guerrilla forces and his constituents gave him their full collaboration thus, he managed to govern the people without prying from the guerrilla forces.
The civil government of Umingan was re-established by the PCAU on February 9, 1945, but before that the town was not spared from the destruction of the war. The Japanese Forces offered stiff but futile resistance in the town so that it was subjected to heavy bombings and artillery barrages by the Liberation forces from the last week of November and the first week of December, 1994 and January, 1945, respectively destroying all public buildings and houses except one in the Poblacion.
Upon the re-established of the civil government, in 1945 Don Jose A. Castillo, Don Vicente Pangangaan, Don Andres Sion and Don Nicolas E. Adamos were appointed Municipal Mayor and Municipal vice Mayor, respectively.

When the Philippine independence was granted in 1948, the Municipal mayors who were elected were Don Dominador M. Abalos, Don Juan C. Castillo, Don Demetrio Belisario, and Don Isabelo V. Velasquez, Don Francisco A. Lopez, (OIC), Don Segundo B. Paz, (OIC). Don Randolf Santos, (OIC), was appointed during the time of the EDSA revolution under the late President Corazon C. Aquino, Don Manalo B. Gonzales was elected in 1988and governed until 1998, Mayor Alain T. Rabang was elected and governed from 1998 to 2007 whom was succeeded by Mayor Eldred P. Tobocon, CE-GE from 2007 to 2016. He was then succeeded in July, 2016 by the current local chief executive, the Honorable Mayor Michael Carleone M. Cruz, who initiated the upgrading and updating of this comprehensive municipal profile.